In the last post, we talked about the fact that as Children of God, we have an enemy. He has lost our hearts, but now he is after our minds. One of his tactics if to try to make us think about things that are not true or things that are only partially true. Remember, a partial truth is a LIE and we should not accept it!
Philippians 4:8 gives us very clear and simple instructions to protect our minds:
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.
Every thought must run through the filter of Philippians 4:8……
- True – God’s word is true! Each thought must line up with the truths of God’s Word.
- Honorable – Our thoughts should center on things that are honest and serious.
- Right – Righteous or just
- Pure – Holy and clean
- Lovely – literally means beautiful
- Good Repute – Good reputation. Think about things that would lead to actions that would cause you to have a good reputation.
- Excellence – virtue or worthiness
- Worthy of Praise – Do these thoughts lead to me speaking words that bring praise and worship to God?
THINK ON THESE THINGS!
If we think on the truth of God’s Word, we will recognize the lies or partial truths that the enemy throws our way. If we fill our minds with thoughts that fit this criteria, there will be no room for false, impure, unjust or lustful thoughts.
So before a thought takes root in our minds, we need to run it through the filter of Philippians 4:8 and if it does not line up, we need to reject it immediately as a lie of the enemy.